* Details may change & courses can fill up, so please confirm with the teacher before you travel!
* Please mention you heard about the workshop or course at London Belly Dance. Thank you!
SATURDAY 10 - Workshops with Cairo resident SARA FAROUK, hosted by DELILAH (Miss Bellydance UK 2010)
- Workshop 1: Zay El Hawa - 11am to 1pm - "Learn to dance this classic piece. Using the song, sung by Abdel Halim Hafez, investigating how understanding the lyrics & the multiple meanings help with hearing the music & being part of it rather than just dancing it.
- Break: 1-2pm, during which Sara will be showing video examples of dancers
- Workshop 2: Listening & feeling - 2pm to 4pm - "Technique & feeling are not separate entities. Find your own way using an overall approach & simple combinations to various musicl styles. Sara is renowned for her innovative & insprational teaching."
- About Sara: "Sara Farouk is a dancer, actress, choreograher & director who has worked professionally in Europe, Egypt, North Africa & Turkey, across TV, film & theatre. After studying at Hull & Dartington Colleges of Arts, Sara qualified as a teacher of dance & drama at Rolle College of Education, England. She visited Egypt in the early 1980s whilst pursuing her acting career, & took her first classes in Egyptian dance. She then taught & performed in London & nurtured the belly dance performance group Benat Al Medina. She has been living & working in Cairo for the past 11 years, & collaborates regularly with Eman Zaki & Randa Kamel."
- Venue: The Founders' Studio, The Place, 16 Flaxman Terrace, London WC1H 9AT
- Price: £25 for one workshop or £40 for both - save 20%!
LAYALI ACADEMY WORKSHOPS WEEKEND - Saturday 27 & Sunday 28
"Four exciting workshops. Two master trainers. One mind-blowing weekend! Mark Balahadia (USA) and Leila Molaei (UK) will be teaching you what you really need to know about authentic raqs khaleeji and raqs kawlee. Women and men are both welcome."
Saturday, 27 October
- 1030am - 130pm Traditional Emirati/Kuwaiti womens' dance with Mark Balahadia '
- 230pm - 530pm South Yemeni womens' social dance with Mark Balahadia
Sunday, 28 October
- 1130am - 230pm Iraqi gypsy dance - The basics and beyond with Leila Molaei
- 330pm - 630pm Modern Arabian Gulf womens' dance with Mark Balahadia
Enter the London Belly Dance COMPETITION for your chane to be one of 4 lucky winners of free workhops!
FREE WORKSHOPS with ARABIAN DANCE THEATRE
Sunday 07 & Sunday 14 October at Bernie Grant Art Centre, Town Hall Approach Road, London N15 4RX (Seven Sisters tube, 15 mins from Oxford Circus on Victoria line)
"As part of our theatre project, we are running free workshops in modern Arabic dance. These are quality workshops by top exponents of Arabic dance in the UK. Everyone has the chance to book at least one workshop of their choice. Booking will be on a first come first served basis. Workshops are limited to 25 people, & once it's full it's full! Don't miss the opporuntity to study with us."*
Sunday 07 October
- Workshop 1: 12pm to 2pm: Modern Cairo style with Farah Nasri - Level: intermediate/advanced*
-Workshop 2: 2pm to 4pm: Introduction to contemprary dance with Maya - Level: open*
Sunday 14 October
-Workshop 3: 11am to 12pm: Beginners belly dance with Michelle Deniz Drouse - Level: beginners*
-Workshop 4: 12pm to 2pm: Modern Egyptian shaabi with Isa Randle - Level: open*
-Workshop 5: 2pm to 4pm: Khaleeji now with Tara - Level: open*
* For full details of all the workshops & how to apply for your FREE place, see the Arabian Dance Theatre news page & email them quick!
For details of Arabian Dance Theatre's new show BE HERE NOW, see our News & events page.
New term starts in the second week of January for several belly dancing schools following the MIA SERRA SCHOOL OF BELLY DANCE (right) format of a 10 or 12 week course followed by an end of term show. These include the FLEUR ESTELLE DANCE SCHOOL & MELISSA BELLYDANCE (left), though Mia's school is currently running only one course, Bellydance with Baby. Further afield there's HIPS INC. BELLYDANCE
See the London Belly Dance archives for details of workshops & courses from 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 & 2011